How do I qualify as a COSHH Assessor?  The qualifications required to qualify as an accredited control of substances hazardous to health assessors have changed over the last couple of years.  You can no longer just site a COSHH assessor course as companies are not looking for accredited training with certification from a UK awarding bodies.

Teaching Qualification

First and foremost if you want to also teach DSE then you need to have an entry-level teaching qualification, The PDLSG – Planning and Delivering Learning Sessions to Groups Award or the ETA – Level 3 Award in Education and Training qualification gives the teaching award accepted by all awarding bodies. This course is nationally accredited and by its conclusion will allow the successful candidate to teach any subject they have experience in.

COSHH Assessor Qualification

Ok, so you now have a teaching qualification either PDLSG or ETA that proves your competence as a trainer. What’s next is to match it up with some relevant experience. One way to do this is to obtain the Level 3 Health and Safety for Supervisors award or Nebosh, but also you can do a CPD COSHH e-learning award. Holding the teaching qualification and current experience will allow you to teach the following courses:
  • COSHH Training
  • COSHH Assessments Award


Trainers should take out public liability insurance in case a member of the public blames you for causing damage or injury. Alongside professional indemnity insurance in case a member of the public/client accuses you of making a mistake within your work. Both cost about £120 per year.


You will need some basic COSHH equipment to be able to provide your own courses. The below list of equipment is everything you will need:
  • PowerPoint COSHH (free with some cpd trainer awards)
  • COSHH Assessor Forms included
  • Projector for Powerpoint presentations

COSHH Assessor or COSHH Trainer Courses

If you only wish to conduct COSHH Assessments, then we have a 1-day COSHH Assessor Award Course.  If you wish to teach COSHH Assessment and you don’t have a teaching award one of the cheapest 2 days courses from Abertay provide everything you need just click the link below to become a  COSHH Trainer over 2 days which includes the PDLSG teaching award
  1. Teaching Qualification
  2. COSHH experience and awards (or professional exemption)
  3. Insurance
  4. Equipment

Accredited COSHH Certifications

Once you have all the above, you then need to apply to one of the awarding bodies to apply to become an approved centre so that you can gain accredited COSHH certifications for the candidates you then teach. There are many awarding bodies out there but one of the most reasonable for costs is SafeCert Awards. They cost 195 for centre approval with COSHH certification at around 5 pounds each.
, , , ,