How do i become a first aid instructorHow do i become a first aid instructor or qualify as a TAQA assessor? The qualifications required to assess any NVQ or other qualifications have changed over the last couple of years.  It previously was the D32 Assessor or A1 Assessors Award but now its been updated to the new TAQA Assessor Award.

Assessor Qualification

First and foremost if you want to be an assessor you will need to have an entry-level assessors qualification. The TAQA Assessor is the required award. There are however a few different options for this award. This course is nationally accredited and by its conclusion will allow the successful assess awards that are within their competency levels.

Teaching Qualifications

Ok, so you now have an assessors award you would be qualified to assess awards but to teach awards you would also require to hold a valid teaching qualification either PDLSG or ETA that proves your competence as a trainer. What’s next is to match it up with some relevant experience. Holding the teaching qualification and current assessing award will allow you to teach and assess awards you have competency in. For example:
  • You wish to teach and assess first aid, you would need to prove your knowledge in the area so a valid First Aid at Work certificate would provide this
  • You wish to teach manual handling.  you would need to prove competency in manual handling so a manual handling trainer course or higher course such as the IOSH Managing Safely , Health and Safety for Supervisors Course


Trainers should take out public liability insurance in case a member of the public blames you for causing damage or injury. Alongside professional indemnity insurance in case a member of the public/client accuses you of making a mistake within your work. Both cost about £120 per year.


You will need some basic equipment to be able to provide your own courses. The below list of equipment is everything you will need:
  • Projector for Powerpoint presentations
  • Training/Assessment Materials
  • Qualification Specification for the award you wish to assess

Teaching Award

If you don’t have a teaching award one of the cheapest 3 days courses from Abertay provide everything you need just click the link below to how do i become a first aid instructor for example includes the PDLSG teaching award
  1. Teaching Qualification
  2. Insurance
  3. Equipment

Accredited Certifications

Once you have all the above, you then need to apply to one of the awarding body to apply to become an approved centre so that you can gain accredited centre approval to be able to assess accredited awards and gain accredited certification. There are many awarding bodies out there but one of the most reasonable for costs are SafeCert Awards.
, , ,